Saturday, August 13, 2005

Comment Spam

I remember this happening to the Gazebo a while back. I can't figure out a way to disable HTML in comments, so I'm not sure what to do. For the time being, I've switched comments to "registered users only." This is retarded. I don't expect people to register in order to leave comments. I want a real solution. If anyone has any solutions, email me (since the comment settings are subject to random change right now if I keep getting spam). Deleting comments manually is rather tedious, so that's right out as a solution.

Update: I think what I'll try for now is just to hide the blog from blogger's listings, and see if the spam stops. Comments are enabled for everyone again. Any advice/suggestions on this matter would still be appreciated.

3 Comments:

At Sun Aug 14, 07:47:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it just old posts that are getting spammed, or everything? In my case they would almost always post in very old threads, so I closed threads older than 10 days and reduced my comment spam by upwards of 99%.

The drawback is that occasionally people would find some old post by Google and leave a comment, which was fun, and this is obviously no longer possible.

 
At Sun Aug 14, 11:47:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lemming said...

It was mostly new posts, actually, whatever was on top. Haven't seen any since the initial batch though, so we'll se how it goes.

 
At Mon Aug 15, 02:51:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lanth said...

The way the Movable Type people (read: Making Light) deal with comment spam is using complicated blacklists, as well as Gazebo's close-old-threads approach. No idea if you can set up a Blogger blacklist, as I went with the registered-users-only cludge with my blogs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home