Adventures in Mathematics
Today we had a montly report due at work. In particular, the monthly report that defends my paycheck. At about 9am this morning, we found out that in order to avoid a mildly-embarassing situation, we needed to generate a certain sort of plot of our solutions to a particular plot. We've been working on generating the solution itself, but the data we needed is a mostly trivial function of that solution. Unfortunately, much of that function have yet to be implemented in code. We had a meeting at 9:30am to try and figure out wtf we were gonna do.
My gradpappy taught me the value of ingenuity and improvisation. Never forget the tools you have can do a whole lot more than just the tasks they were designed for.
By the time of the meeting, I had a stopgap solution mostly coded. Two hours later I had data, albiet for the "spherical cow" approximation of the system. By 3pm I had the full simulation output. Hey, even with 256 CPUs some of these computations still take a long time. It's a bit slow and clunky, but has great accuracy in the domain where we're trying to evaluate the function, and it's done. And it actually looks good.
In order to accomplish this, of course, I've held myself at the optimal caffeine/blood level for Deep Hack Mode all day. I've made an observaion--this caffeine/blood level is most certainly sub-optimal for anything but Deep Hack Mode.
TWITCHTWITCHTWITCHkthxbye


1 Comments:
When discussing my work with Georgia Tech's PR person, I used the term "spherical cow" and was advised by my collaborator that almost every normal person would become _more_ confused as a result rather than less confused. Damn normal people. One can't even talk like a human being around them.
Post a Comment
<< Home