Request for opinions
This post is about Hurricane Katrina, but I'm not going to talk about it directly, because I shouldn't have to unless you've been living in a cave this past week.
I've been browsing around the web, looking at people's opinions on what can be done to help. I've read some fairly convincing arguments that, at least in theory, from this far away the only practical thing to do is just send money. On the flip side, I've read people's concerns about possible corruption in certain organizations. If you read Boingboing, you've already probably read the comments that struck me the most.
At this point, I'm running with the reasoning that even if only half of the money one donates is put to good use, it's got more than twice the utility over there than it does for me.
Any suggestions/opinions? I would appreciate anything you have to say. The only thing I ask is that no one says "I donated $X," I'd rather this not be about comparing dick sizes.
Cheers,


4 Comments:
I don't read BoingBoing, but according to most folks at Making Light, the Red Cross is generally a good choice. Unfortunately, the Red Cross has been ordered not to enter New Orleans with relief. So much for that plan. I've heard the Society for Creative Anachronisms is actually doing a lot of work right now in the surrounding regions, but I don't have the link to their donation page on hand (it's on my work computer). There's always the Salvation Army and similar ones; they're not ideal solutions, but as you said, half the money donated does at least 100% more good there than here.
I found a couple more donation sites from Gaiman's blog:
Operation USA
The Red Cross donation site
And it turns out the Red Cross is able to do some stuff in NO--such as helping the remaining hospital and the rescue workers, so that still seems like a viable option.
Thanks for the input. I'm putting my bets on the ARC for now, but I'll keep my ears open.
I used the Red Cross. It seemed like a reasonable default. Also, even if they're not allowed to enter at the moment (which I didn't know at the time I made my choice...), the money put to rebuilding will also be worthy.
Post a Comment
<< Home