Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Giggling like a schoolgirl

I cannot remember ever being this excited about a new piece of computer hardware. Ever.

So far, the most amusing thing I've read was this, posted on /.:
"Be bloody, bold, and resolute! Laugh to scorn the power of man, for none of woman born shall harm MacBook." (Check out the thread on said topic)

If they had come out with the Minis first, I would have already ordered one. The MacBooks though? I'm filled with a ravenous lust.

Here's my question to you: what other OS do you think people are going to have running on the new Intel-based Macs first? Some flavor of windows, given the temptation to dual-boot on the same hardware to run more mainstream games? Perhaps one of the BSDs or Linuxes? Darwin doesn't count, but perhaps FreeBSD can use some back-ported work to get it running soon (I doubt it, mind you). There will certainly be a mob of frothing-at-the-mouths linux geeks hoping to get their hands on hardware to try it out on...

I suppose we'll see in the coming weeks. Anyone want to put money down? I honestly expect linux to win by sheer numbers, but for the sake of the underdog I've got $5 on FreeBSD.

DAMN I WANT ONE. The best thing to come out of this announcement for me is that I'm now forced to go over my finances in detail and try to trim some fat so I can justify buying one of these things ASAP.

2 Comments:

At Tue Jan 10, 08:43:00 PM PST, Blogger Mason said...

I am drooling over my new laptop prospects as a result of this, but I have to choose waiting and having academic funds rather than my own being used for the purpose. I just had an awesome thought, however. If the grant for which I've currently applied comes through, then I'll be able to get this a whole year earlier than I otherwise would...

 
At Wed Jan 11, 02:39:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have already been coveting Mac laptops, now it's going to get pretty bad...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home