Friday, January 06, 2006

Why did you play this song?

"Base on what you've told us so far, we're playing this track because it features electric rock instrumentation, mild rhythmic syncopation, meandering melodic phrasing, thru composed melodic style and mixed minor & major key tonality"

Pandora is pretty sexy. Internet radio, customized stations. You pick a song, band or album as a starting point, and it'll start picking out songs for you. You respond (optionally) by saying you like or dislike some of it's picks and it'll refine it's notion of your tastes. The above is the explanation it gave me for playing Muse - Bliss after I'd refined my tastes a little bit.

Ooh, just as I'm typing this it picked The Killers - Smile Like You Mean It. *was about to write something vulgar and complimentary, but remembered my mom reads this*

Yay.

EDIT: Oh my again, Audioslave - Dandelion just came up, after some other mixed strange good and so-so I'd never heard of. In case you didn't know, Dandelion kicks a fair, nay, large, nay, HUGE amount of arse.

5 Comments:

At Fri Jan 06, 01:52:00 PM PST, Blogger Mike^2 said...

I seem to lose... the artists I know of that are representative of the style I'm looking for aren't being found by the search (specifically, E Nomine and Vanilla Ninja, and to a lesser extent, Jeremy Soule and Harry Gregson-Williams). Okay, so the last of those did show up, but it was only from the Team America soundtrack, and wasn't at all the style I was after. I'll try again after they've been at it for longer and have more songs, I guess.

 
At Fri Jan 06, 02:40:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last.fm does something similar, although I haven't tried their personalized radio. I believe they make recommendations based on what other people with similar tastes are listening to, rather than specific musical attributes.(Their recommendations page has a "more popular/more obscure" slider, which is both amusing and useful.)

 
At Fri Jan 06, 04:09:00 PM PST, Blogger Lemming said...

Is it labeled "Pretention"? :P

 
At Fri Jan 06, 07:49:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, it totally should be.

 
At Tue Jan 10, 08:46:00 PM PST, Blogger Mason said...

I'm catching up on your entries, and it's amusing to read this one after the later complaint about all the country music.

The obscure/popular gauge is definitely highly amusing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home