According to the Goo Goo Dolls
Sparked by Mike telling me he borrowed my monkey wrench, a tool I didn't think I even owned, we did a little research to figure out exactly what one was. I had mistakenly thought of a monkey wrench as a pipe wrench, which looks a bit similar. Mike simultaneously thought a monkey wrench to be a pipe wrench, adjustable gas pliers and a crescent wrench, the last of which is the closest modern equivalent.
Wait, modern equivalent? Yeah, monkey wrenches aren't even used anymore. They are an old-fashioned type of adjustable wrench, now obsolete thanks to the Crescent (actually a brand name, apparently) adjustable wrench. Some corners of the intarweb actually identify them as one and the same. The design of the monkey wrench looks like a pipe wrench, except it's the lower jaw rather than upper jaw that moves.
Thanks to wikipedia for clearing that up.
In addition, found this on GIS. I didn't know tools could mate and produce such bastard offspring. I bet it's sterile, though.


2 Comments:
The moment when I realized that I could point to each of several different tools and claim, "That's a monkey wrench" was both enlightening and somehow unsurprising.
I could talk about many-to-one relationships, but instead I'm going to blame it on the monkeys.
It could be worse. You'd have to deal with multi-valuedness if you were interested in the inverse map.
Other sections of LAX need to learn from Continental's section by having wifi.
Oh, and my original flight plan through Houston is apparently going off as scheduled. (This is one of the very few flights going to Houston today.)
I need sleep.
Post a Comment
<< Home