The Delgados - I Fought the Angels
Track 1 of Gazebo's mix CD entitled Some Disassembly Required. Wikipedia entry for The Delgados.
I didn't care for this song the first time I heard it. Not bad, not good, just didn't stir me much. In particular, I kept getting the feeling that the song was building up to something (musically, not lyrically) that it never quite got around to.
After listening to the whole CD once, however, I suddenly liked the song a lot more. At first it was all about the context, but know I actually like the song. Not a ton, but I find it pleasant to listen to, and a fitting opening to the CD. Then again, maybe I only think it's a fitting opening to the CD because it is the opening to the CD.
Ponder.
Anyway, sorry about the late post. I didn't actually forget yesterday--I just meant to do it after work, and I turned out having approximately epsilon (plus or minus delta) free time in the evening. Today I'll make sure to post the second track while I have some time in my schedule--that is to say while I'm at work.
Cheers!


2 Comments:
I specifically picked this for the opening track because I liked the way it opened Universal Audio.
In my mind, what the song is building up to is the music that follows it on the rest of the CD. The song ends with an invitation to listen, and to respond:
So lend me an ear to lean upon
To speak to, and learn my speaking from
and I liked that as a lead-in to the subsequent songs.
I totally missed those lyrics. Then again, I'm fairly bad about that except for certain exceptions.
And I agree with you about the song leading up to, well, the rest of the album--I was planning on elaborating on that when I got to the appropriate track, being the point when things clicked into a comfortable spot for me.
Post a Comment
<< Home