Sunday, December 04, 2005

Don't it Feel Like Sunshine After All

The world you love forever gone,
We're only just as happy
as everyone else seems to think we are


Yesterday Mike^2, Jorian and myself got to stand outside in the cold, eat some horribly mediocre BC catering and listen to Baltimore give a awkward but highly amusing introductory speech. We were really there for a concert--the Olive Walk isn't the first thing I think of when I think about viable venues, and the acoustics left something to be desired.

Now that I've gotten all of the possible complaining out of the way, I can tell you that Jimmy Eat World put on ONE HELL OF A SHOW anyway. It was a little awkward when the lead singer first appeared on stage, alone and singing his heart out, but things smoothed out real quickly.

There are a few of their songs that I don't like as much as they are popular, specifically Get it Faster and Sweetness. Both fine songs, but there are others I like better. Both songs lended themselves fantasically to live performance--the energy and excitement suit those songs very well in a way that a recording can probably never capture. That, and the variations they dropped in for the live performance realy kicked it up a notch.

BAM

Oh, and just for the record (hah), their album Bleed American is one of my favorite albums out there.

3 Comments:

At Sun Dec 04, 01:32:00 PM PST, Blogger Mason said...

I got back too late last night to even ponder showing up. I also felt like crap, so I just dropped by Peet's and hung out at home before crashing pretty early. The medicine this morning has helped a bit, and I definitely want to get this out of my system before my flight to England next weekend.

By the way, at the bottom of your page, you have the following quote: "But it's strickly rhythm he doesn't wanna make it cry or sing." First, I am blanking out on what song this is from because I know this line and I know the song (if my brain would stop just returning: come back later when I'm working). Second, you mean "strictly", right?

 
At Tue Dec 06, 10:38:00 AM PST, Blogger Lemming said...

Oops, thanks for the catch. It's a quote from Sultans of Swing by Dire Straights.

 
At Mon Dec 19, 12:34:00 AM PST, Blogger Mason said...

Oh, right. That's an awesome song, and I have the proper place in the song after reading that. I should have caught that even in my tired state.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home