Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Sleater-Kinney - The End of You

This is the musical equivalent of a bookend. Every time I hear it, I think it's the end of the CD, and not because of the title--I kept forgetting the name of the track and doublechecking the title. I also kept doublechecking because I was wondering how I managed to miss a bunch of tracks.

I do like the track, I should make that clear. How should I say... it's one of the worst of the better songs? That be the sense making?

Oh, and there are a couple of lines that annoy me...

You say sink or swim,
what a cruel cruel phrase.
I'd rather fly...


I dunno, it just sounds dumb. Every time I hear that little passage I picture this silly, naive girl singing on the stage with googly eyes facing every which way as she suffers from a total disconnect from reality.

"Like, omg guys, life is happy, LOL! Everybody loves me! I shit rainbows!"

Slight exaggeration, but you get the idea, right? Don't forget, I do actually like the song. I just like poking fun at that little tiddlybit.

2 Comments:

At Thu Oct 27, 11:32:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, I never imagined I'd hear Sleater-Kinney described that way! In defense of that part of the song, I'd always heard it as a gesture of (futile) defiance rather than sunny optimism. Maybe it needs to be properly contextualized by the rest of the band's catalog.

I like the way the ship-in-a-storm metaphor works with Sleater-Kinney's general style. I can almost feel the wind and rain lashing at the sails.

 
At Thu Oct 27, 01:06:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lemming said...

FWIW, I kinda figured that that's how the lyrics were meant, but it's the tone of her voice as she sings those lines that pushes me the wrong way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home