Sunday, October 23, 2005

Double Header

Bloc Party - Helicopter

This is on the soundtrack to Burnout: Revenge, and as such I find the song inextricable from mental images of driving fast and crashing cars along the cliffs of White Mountain. The sound is a great fit for the game, and since I'm already familiar with it, I think it managed to narrowly escape getting lost in the wash by coming after Rebellion (Lies). I do like the track, I just can't help but think of it as "that song from Burnout", even though Decent Days and Nights was as well (different Burnout) and I didn't have a problem with that... Hrm...

In any case it's fun, fast vroom-vroom music.

Blonde Redhead - Falling Man

Here's where I'm confused. The lead singer here has a really annoying voice... or at least it sounds like it. It's not actually annoying, but it sounds like it'd be annoying. It's like this one time I slammed my head into a metal shelf and was completely dumbstruck by the lack of pain--that sort of thing hurts. Back to the song, though--this is one of the "it's only good" tracks that fills in the spaces between the real kickers. It's distinctive enough that I remember it at least.

3 Comments:

At Mon Oct 24, 12:09:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I managed to pick two songs from Burnout soundtracks? Whoever's picking their music certainly has good taste. I looked up the lyrics to "Helicopter" and it turned out I was mishearing a lot of them. I did get the general anti-war/anti-Bush themes at least, but the British accents threw me off on certain specific lines.

Both of Blonde Redhead's singers sound like they could be annoying, but I actually like them. (The one who's not on this track is a slightly shrill woman with a heavy Japanese accent.) When I put their songs on mix CDs I always wonder whether the recipient will find the voices irritating.

 
At Mon Oct 24, 04:58:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lemming said...

To be fair, there are ~40 songs in Burnout: Revenge, and maybe half that in Takedown.

 
At Mon Oct 24, 08:03:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lanth said...

I actually really like Falling Man, but I think a lot of that is because I was listening to it while reading a particular part of Anansi Boys, and it fit perfectly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home