Iron & Wine - Free Until They Cut Me Down
Before the Gazebo handed me this CD, if someone had come up to me and asked me what I thought a band named "Iron & Wine" might sound like, I'm pretty sure this song would have started playing in my head. Before I'd ever heard it. I grew up with enough country and bluegrass playing in the background that I can tolerate the ol' country twang. Heck, I even like it when it's done well. To my ears, the guitar sings just as loudly and beautifully as the vocalist, if not more so. Remind me to go off on my tirade on why I love the sound of a guitar some time--in short, it can carry almost as much baggage with it as a human voice.
The only problem I have with this song is that when I listen to music that's of this general style, I want to listen to a lot more of it. Now where the hell is my copy of Hittin' the Note?
Oh, regarding the lyrics--I want to invent a new word. So far my best candidates are "deplifting" and "upressing." I kinda like the latter, since it sounds like "oppressing", but the former is a little easier to make sense of right off.
Much like the previous track this one makes me want to hit the next track button. In fact, just like the previous track, it makes me want to hit the next track button while listening to "Just Let Go."


1 Comments:
I've heard Iron & Wine described as "happy music about dying", although the more recent albums aren't as death-themed as Our Endless Numbered Days (which is where Free Until They Cut Me Down came from). It's all really good. Their latest release (which came out a few weeks ago, it's one of the albums I have lined up to review on my blog) is quite excellent.
Coincidentally, I am seeing Iron & Wine live this Wednesday (and The Hold Steady tomorrow!).
Post a Comment
<< Home