Friday, October 14, 2005

Architecture in Helsinki - Maybe You Can Owe Me

I liked this track right from the first time I heard it, and my opinion hasn't changed a bit since. It's not one of my favorites on the CD (not for lack of trying), but it's certainly top-half. It's much more sedate than the previous track, but keeps things swinging with its baa-da-da-daa-da-da-daa-da-da-dum lyrics--imagine singing something like "Its the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" after dropping a bunch of Vicodin.

My only gripe about the song is that it drags a bit at the end--I like how the music slowly falls away, but the drag it out a bit much, making it get a bit boring if you're intently listening to it.

Oddly, I keep getting distracted by this nearly unnoticable change in the drum track they do every phrase or two. They keep alternating between two variations on the same beat. I r teh dum with music, so I've no hope of actually describing it in the written form... See if you can pick it out.

6 Comments:

At Fri Oct 14, 02:08:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For a while I considered having this song fade out early since the long slow ending was disrupting the overall flow of the CD. Once I decided on "Tiny Little Fractures" as the next song I decided to keep the full track, because I liked the way the Snow Patrol picks up the pace again.

I love the lyrics to this song. (I can never figure out what they're saying at first, but fortunately this band posts PDFs of their lyrics on their website.) I'm in one of those modes right now where I'm counting all the minutes 'til July the 1st, and I counted all the seconds but it made me feel worse, although in my case it's a different date that doesn't rhyme as well.

 
At Fri Oct 14, 03:02:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lemming said...

I tried to pull that again today, I really did. I even pulled up a copy of the lyrics, but I couldn't pull anything off that wouldn't be obviously out of place... I did like the lyrics, but I also must admit they didn't completely make sense to me...

On that note, I'd like to share with you a little musical reinterpretation at my own expense. It's a bit tangential because I'm jumping to a completely unrelated song. Also, I'd like to apologize in advance to everyone else--only Gazebo and Zif are properly equipped with the correct context (if they even remember!) to fully get the joke.

All the king's men reappear,
My friends, who will try to make sense of what I say

The worst things (bad ideas) come from inside here (my brain)

For an egg man, all and all for one
Obviously a Beatles reference: kookookachoo, bitch!

Who'll never be together again.
A painful sleight against my love life.

I would like to state for the record that my analytical reading/listening skills are unmatched.

 
At Fri Oct 14, 04:00:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should perhaps clarify that my resonance with that lyric is specific to this week, and I didn't have it in mind when I made the CD. (The rest of the song is also far less relevant to me.)

 
At Fri Oct 14, 07:11:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lemming said...

I was assuming that was the case. Did sometime I said imply the contrary? I honestly don't know, I'm massively food-shocked right now.

MmmmmmmmmmmmmmmzzZ

 
At Fri Oct 14, 09:11:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It wasn't clear to me which way you interpreted it, I just suddenly had the paranoid worry that there was potential for confusion.

 
At Sat Oct 15, 12:11:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lemming said...

Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home