Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Hold Steady - Banging Camp

I'm guessing the Gazebo at least partially knew I'd like this track because of my fondness for a certain performance of Sugar High by Coyote Shivers. That's only an indicator mind you. I don't like the song because of it's similarities, I just like it for similar reasons. When I say "like it", btw, I mean it's teh awesome.

Holly wore a cross to ward them off,

Teh awesome!

I can't stand it when the bangin' stops.

Teh awesome!

This song is Rock and Roll. In case you missed the memo, that's a good thing.

1 Comments:

At Thu Oct 27, 03:47:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is probably my favorite track on the CD, due to equal parts the lyrics and the aforementioned Rock and Roll. When I saw The Hold Steady last week they opened with this song, and it's been in my head on and off since.

The album Separation Sunday is centered on the character Holly, and many of the other songs refer to the born-again experience described in this one. Even if it's an old idea ("opiate of the masses"?) I like the way they handle the religion-as-drug metaphor. The album plays with religious themes in interesting ways; the song with probably my favorite lyrics is the one in which Holly discusses the Bible with some dude whose knowledge stems from a few pages he ripped out of the copy on the bedstand in his motel room. Later on the album gets into themes of salvation and rebirth which contrast nicely with Holly's born-again experience in "Banging Camp".

(I could probably write pages on the lyrics to Hold Steady songs...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home