Friday, October 28, 2005

The Libertines - I Get Along

Listening to this song right now I suddenly stumbled upon a striking mental picture. Imagine, if you will, this band playing a concert. Near the end of the first set, they're informed that the stage is wired with explosives and will detonate unless the crowd remains energetic--not unlike the premise of Speed. (A side note: as appropriate as it would be they're explicitly disallowed from playing any Queen/Bowie covers.)

At first, they are panicked and barely stumble through their next few songs. Nearly instigating a premature finale several times, they eventually settle into a decent rhythm, forget about the bombs for a while, and get on with the show.

Hours pass. Then more hours pass.

Wracked by exhaustion, neither the band nor the crowd seems like they'll last much longer. They play a few slow numbers, playing dangerously close to the detonator's limit. It's not clear if they're just catching their breath, trying to recover or if they really are about to give up the ghost. Then, just when the need it most, they get their second wind.

It feels good.

They start to regain momentum, pouring more and more energy into their music. Pretty soon they're not playing because they have to--they're playing because they want to.

Barely standing but full of power, they strike up and play I Get Along.

Mind you, I realize that's a bit over the top. I just had an amusing mental image, and wanted to share it. I think it also does a good job of describing what the mood of the song is like to me.

In closing, I'd like to present The Libertine's with the coveted "Best Use of Profanity" award. There really wasn't any competition, so this should come as a surprise to no one.

Fuck 'em.

1 Comments:

At Tue Nov 01, 01:51:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm behind on my commentary! Anyway, I liked this description of the song; it captures the way it's frenetic without being urgent or tense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home