Chilli tamale, extre chilli hold the tamale
In other words, it's time for a triple-threat. Seeing as I missed Saturday and Sunday, I have to do all three remaining tracks today to close things off.
The New Pornographers - It's Only Divine Right
In a word? Groovy. This is bob-your-head music, which is distinctly different from tap-your-feet music. It works best if you pop your head just a little bit higher and make little hand gestures in sync with the regular pauses in the singing--give it a shot, you'll dig it.
This is a good and fun track, though I'm not sure if it's Good or Fun. Quality, but not perfection, is there room for such a thing? I guess so!
TV on the Radio - Staring at the Sun
Music to bury someone to. Any takers? I think the insturmentals in the song might be good, but I really can't tell. I'm entirely too captivated by the vocals. So, ur, yeah, I like it. Moving on!
Pretty Girls Make Graves - A Certain Cemetary
The perfect bookend to match I Fought the Angels. I don't know why, but the two fit together immediately in my mind. The first time I listened to this track, I immediately jumped back to thinking about the opening track. Maybe it's just that they both mention angels, but I think there's more to it than that. In addition, this song gives me a similar feeling to the first one, in building up tension, but this one releases it. In fact, it does it for I Fought the Angels as well. Once I'd heard this track, I enjoyed the earlier track quite a bit. It balances it out for me somehow in a way that makes everything happy and dandy. The End of You could have done well to close out the album, but I Fought the Angels / A Certain Cemetary compliment each other well.
--
Regarding the CD as a whole, let me make this clear: my boat is, most certainly, afloat. In fact, it seems rather bouyant.
I've tracked down a few more of the necessities for the mix CD I'm putting together in response. If you want a hint (albeit a possibly misleading one), I'll tell you the name of the artist who will probably be the most represented.


1 Comments:
There are songs by the New Pornographers that are closer to perfection, but "It's Only Divine Right" had a better feel for building up to the end of the CD. This is one of the few songs by that band where I feel like I get the lyrics... it seems to be about the daughter of a former president who's being encouraged to go into politics herself.
I wasn't wild about "Staring at the Sun" the first time I heard it but it really grew on me. Definitely because of the vocals. I feel like I should have some justification for putting it in the second-to-last slot, but it just seemed to fit there.
I was also trying to figure out why I put "A Certain Cemetery" as the last song; I usually pick something more upbeat to end a mix CD but for some reason this one seemed the obvious choice. I think you identified the reason, though. Originally this is the last track on The New Romance, which is a very tense and aggressive album, and this song provides a necessary catharsis to resolve the issues raised by what came before. This mix CD isn't aggressive in the same way, but there is unresolved tension left by "I Fought The Angels" and perhaps a few other tracks, and this song takes care of it.
Post a Comment
<< Home